Need something else?

You can report noise from construction, including jackhammering and construction activity during, before, or after hours.

Residential Construction is allowed between 7 AM and 6 PM on weekdays. Alterations or repairs to existing one-family or two-family, owner-occupied dwellings, convents or rectories may also be performed on Saturdays and Sundays between 10:00 AM and 4:00 PM.

Commercial, Street, and Highway Construction is allowed on weekdays between 7 AM and 6 PM. However, emergency work necessary for public safety, or work that cannot be performed during normal work hours may occur after hours or on weekends.

Work may take place at other times only if the site has a construction variance from the City.

You can report noise even if a site has a variance.

Report noise from:

Picture or Video Attachments

Picture or video attachments may be used for informational purposes only. A condition must be observed in person by a DEP inspector for a summons or Commissioner's order to be issued.

If you have submitted a noise service request to the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP), you can request a Noise Inspection Report (NIR) be sent to you.

DEP responds to service requests for noise from:

  • Air Conditioner or Ventilation Equipment
  • Boats
  • Chronic Alarms
  • Construction
  • Dog or Other Animals
  • Factories
  • Ice Cream Trucks
  • Lawn Equipment
  • Private Garbage Trucks
  • Wastewater Treatment Plants

To have the NIR sent to you, you must include:

  • The service request number
  • An email or mailing address

The NIR will be sent to you 14 days after the inspection has been completed. Requests submitted with insufficient information cannot be fulfilled.


Email DEP to request a Noise Inspection Report.

Use "Request for Information" as Message Type and "Noise Control" as Message Topic.

By Phone

Call 311 or 212-NEW-YORK (212-639-9675) for help.

  Was this information helpful?   Yes    No