Call 911
Call 911 to report:   
  • A car accident
  • Drag racing in progress
  • An all-terrain vehicle (ATV) in use
  • An unregistered dirt bike currently being driven on a City street
  • A car alarm going off

Need something else?

You can report noise from a vehicle caused by an idling engine, loud music, or horn honking. Horn honking is only allowed as a warning of danger.

What Happens Next

Officers from the New York Police Department (NYPD) will respond within 8 hours when they are not handling emergencies. They will be able to take action if the noise is still happening when they arrive. If you make multiple complaints within 8 hours, police may only respond once.

Legal Noise Limits

There is a limit to the amount of noise a vehicle's muffler or exhaust system may make on public roads where the speed limit is 35 miles per hour or less. According to New York City's Noise Code, sound is too loud if it can be heard:

  • From 150 feet or more from a vehicle weighing less than 10,000 pounds
  • From 200 feet or more from a vehicle weighing more than 10,000 pounds
  • From 200 feet from a motorcycle

 Was this information helpful?   Yes    No