Call 911
Call 911 if the wild animal is currently creating an immediate threat to public safety.

Need something else?

You can make a report about a wild animal, including:

  • Wild, injured animals in a park
  • Wildlife being removed from a park

You should always use caution around any wildlife and not approach, feed, or touch them.

Get information about how to live alongside urban wildlife.

Animal Care Centers of NYC (ACC) does not capture or trap healthy wild animals, unless the animal appears to be rabid or has bitten a person or pet.

If healthy wildlife are a nuisance, you can search the internet or call 411 to find a wildlife removal service. If you call 411, your phone service provider may charge you an additional fee.

ACC does not accept reports about healthy small wildlife, including: 

  • Chipmunks
  • Opossums
  • Raccoons
  • Skunks
  • Squirrels
  • Turkeys

Seeing Wildlife During Daytime

Seeing a raccoon, opossum, skunk, or other wild animal in the daytime does not mean the animal has rabies. 

If an animal appears healthy and is seen during the day, it may be unable to return to its den or is looking for food. Healthy wildlife, especially raccoons, may look for food in the twilight hours. It is not unusual to see a raccoon at dusk or dawn. 

If left alone, healthy wildlife will eventually return to their dens once they feel safe.

Raccoons Living Near You

If a raccoon lives near your home, you can consult a licensed wildlife removal service. You should not attempt to trap a raccoon yourself.

You can discourage raccoons and other wildlife from taking up residence around your home by following these guidelines:

  • Do not feed pets outside
  • Purchase raccoon-proof garbage cans or put a weight on the lids of other garbage cans
  • Do not leave bags of garbage on the ground
  • Eliminate conditions on property that can be used as dens

You can report wild, stray or injured animals in parks to the Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR). The City responds only to sick or injured wildlife or stray or injured animals in parks. 

DPR does not handle reports about healthy pigeons and squirrels.

You can report the removal of any animal from a City park, greenstreet, or mall to the Department of Parks and Recreation. Removing wildlife from parks is strictly prohibited.

During normal business hours, Animal Care Centers of NYC accepts reports of large injured wildlife (such as deer), stray or abandoned dogs, or wandering dogs that appear to be lost pets. 

You may also bring a lost dog to a Care Center drop-off location. For injured wildlife, you may also find a NYS licensed wildlife rehabilitator on NYS Department of Environmental Conservation website.

Always use caution when near stray animals or wildlife.


Visit the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation website.

By Phone

Call 311 or 212-NEW-YORK (212-639-9675) for help.

There are Animal Care Center offices and drop-off locations across New York City.

Most require an appointment and are closed on the following holidays:

  • Independence Day
  • Labor Day
  • Thanksgiving Day
  • Christmas Day
  • New Year's Day

  Was this information helpful?   Yes    No