You can report a blocked sidewalk or street (including bike lanes) caused by:

Sandwich and A-frame signs must not:

  • Extend more than 3 feet into the sidewalk from the building
  • Be higher than 5 feet

You can report a business that repeatedly places an advertising sign on the sidewalk that violates these rules.

You must provide the address and the days and times this problem occurs.

You can report an ATM located on a sidewalk.

An ATM may be placed inside a store or private property. The ATM may not be located on or extending into the sidewalk. 

What Happens Next

The Department of Transportation (DOT) will inspect the location. If the ATM machine is blocking the sidewalk, DOT will issue a summons to the property owner.

The fine for not removing an illegal ATM is $2,500.

Property owners may also be charged an additional $5,000 fine for every five days that the violation continues.

Construction sites must allow enough space for pedestrians and vehicles to pass.

  • Sidewalk construction sites must allow a minimum of 5 feet for a pedestrian walkway on the sidewalk or in a protected pathway on the street.
  • Street construction sites must allow a minimum of 11 feet for vehicular traffic. 

Construction sites must also have the proper permits to do work on a sidewalk or street.

You can report:

  • A street or sidewalk blocked by construction equipment, barriers, or activity.
  • Items left behind after construction was completed.
  • Construction vehicles blocking street traffic at a construction site.
    • If the construction vehicle is not parked at a construction site, visit the Illegal Parking page instead to report the problem.
  • Construction dumpsters with construction debris blocking the street, sidewalk, crosswalk, or bus stop.
  • Sidewalk or street construction being done without permits

Report an issue with construction happening on a:

Report a construction dumpster blocking a:

What Happens Next

The Department of Transportation will inspect the site to determine whether it is complying with construction permit regulations and will issue violations when appropriate.

You can report overgrown grass or weeds that are overflowing onto the sidewalk from the property next to it. The grass or weeds must be blocking the path of pedestrians and making the sidewalk very difficult to use.

Businesses and commercial buildings must keep sidewalk areas free of objects that could impede pedestrian traffic.

With the exception of “zero sidewalk display” streets, stores are allowed to display merchandise on the sidewalk.

The display must not:

  • Extend more than 3 feet into the sidewalk from the building
  • Be higher than 5 feet

What You Can Report

You can report sidewalks or streets that are blocked by:

  • Large sidewalk displays
  • Merchandise 
  • Bins
  • Racks
  • Coin-operated rides

What You Can’t Report

You can’t report street vendors or peddlers blocking the street or sidewalk with this request form. Visit the Street Vendor Complaint page instead to report this issue.

Zero Sidewalk Display Streets

Certain locations are designated "zero sidewalk display" streets, meaning stores cannot display items on the sidewalk.

You can find out if your business is on a zero sidewalk display street.

Call 311 or 212-NEW-YORK (212-639-9675) for help.

You can report outdoor dining setups that are blocking the sidewalk or street zones.

Blocked Sidewalk

Sidewalk seating must maintain an 8-foot path for pedestrians free from obstructions between the seating and the curb.

Seating also can’t block:

  • Bike racks
  • Bus stop shelters or waiting areas
  • Siamese water connections
  • Sidewalk grates
  • Utility covers

Blocked Street Zones

Open Restaurants with on-street seating can’t block:

  • Bike lanes
  • Bus stops
  • Car share or bike share spaces
  • Crosswalks or vehicle turning zones
  • Fire hydrants
  • No Standing or No Stopping Anytime zones

You can report basketball hoops or similar personal property blocking sidewalks or streets.

What Happens Next

Officers from your local police precinct will respond when they are not handling emergency situations.

You can report sidewalk stands, also known as stoop line stands, that are blocking the sidewalk

Businesses must have a Stoop Line Stand License to sell fruits, vegetables, cut flowers, soft drinks, ice cream, or confectionery from sidewalk stands. The stands must be within specific boundaries to keep public sidewalks clear.

What Happens Next

If you don't include your address or email with your Service Request, you won't receive follow up. The Department of Consumer and Worker Protection (DCWP) will consider your complaint a tip.

If you include your address, DCWP will mail you a complaint form. You must complete and return it to DCWP. If you provide your email address, you'll get the form by email instead. Check your spam folder if you don't see it in your inbox.

Residents and businesses can’t place traffic cones on the street or sidewalk. This includes cones used to save parking spaces.

You can report a street or sidewalk blocked by traffic cones.

Your report must include:

  • The days and times this problem occurs
  • How long the cones remain in place

Cones Used for Construction Work

Active construction sites and repair activity must allow enough room for sidewalk and street traffic to pass.

You can report cones or other barriers that are blocking the sidewalk or street for construction activity.

Report cones used for construction work blocking a:

Residential buildings of any size (single-family and multi-unit) have two options:

  • Place waste out after 6 PM in a bin of 55 gallons or less with a secure lid, or
  • Place waste out after 8 PM, if putting bags directly on the curb.

To ensure collection, all waste must be set out by midnight.

As of March, 1 2024, all businesses in NYC must use a bin with a secure lid for trash. This rule does not apply to recycling. Bins may be placed at the curb 1 hour before closing or after 8 PM. Businesses may also use bins for recycling, but it is not required. Recycling in bags or bundles can be set out after 8 PM.

Trash and recycling bags and containers/bins must never block the sidewalk for pedestrians or be placed in the street. Bins can be stored within three feet of the building line. It is illegal to chain bins to public property.

What You Can Report

You can report residents and businesses that repeatedly put trash and recycling materials in the street or that block the sidewalk with:

  • Trash bags and bins
  • Dumpsters
  • Discarded merchandise
  • Containers chained to public property

What You Can’t Report

You can’t report:

  • Bags or containers on a property’s collection day unless the sidewalk is completely blocked
  • A one-time occurrence. The problem must be chronic, and you must include the days and times in your report.

You can report other reasons for blocked sidewalk or streets:

 Was this information helpful?   Yes    No