Need something else?

For electricians and plumbers:

You can file a complaint about a home improvement contractor (HIC).

The Department of Consumer and Worker Protection (DCWP) regulates HICs that:

  • Do construction, remodeling, repairs, or other home improvement work
  • Work on any type of residential property, apartment, or unit in New York City
  • Charge more than $200

You must live in the City, but the business may be located outside of New York City.

DCWP does not take complaints from businesses against contractors. Learn how to file a business-to-business complaint on the Business Complaint Against Another Business page.

File a Complaint

You can report HICs for contract and quality-of-work disputes.

Complaint types include:

  • Not completing work
  • Poor quality work or defective materials
  • Damage to property
  • Contract or billing disputes
  • Unlicensed contractors

What Happens Next

If you don't include your address or email with your Service Request, you won't receive follow up. The Department of Consumer and Worker Protection (DCWP) will consider your complaint a tip.

If you include your address, DCWP will mail you a complaint form. You must complete and return it to DCWP. If you provide your email address, you'll get the form by email instead. Check your spam folder if you don't see it in your inbox.

The Department of Consumer and Worker Protection (DCWP) does not accept reports of rude employees. Report this type of complaint to the business.

For reports of discrimination, go to the Discrimination page.

You may be eligible for repayment if a DCWP-licensed home improvement contractor:

  • Did not complete the job you contracted them to do
  • Owes you money

You must have already filed a complaint about the contractor with DCWP.

Learn about the Home Improvement Contractor Trust Fund.

 Was this information helpful?   Yes    No