Need something else?

  • Dumping in Catch Basin for cooking grease or oil, or other liquids being dumped in a catch basin or street sewer grate
  • Chemical Spill to report chemical or other hazardous material spills on a roadway, sidewalk, or indoors

You can report an automotive, heating, or industrial oil spill.

You can report an oil spill on the street or in a commercial building to the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP).

Providing your contact information can help DEP with enforcement action. DEP will only contact you for more details, if necessary.

Report an oil spill: 

Picture or Video Attachments

Attaching pictures or videos of the condition can help DEP locate and address the problem more efficiently.

If you are a property owner, you can learn more and get assistance with a leaking or damaged home heating oil tank.

You also can get help with an oil or chemical spill in your home or backyard.

Learn about oil and chemical spills.

You can report oil and chemical spills to the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation by phone.

  • Agency: New York State Department of Environmental Conservation
  • Division: Spill Hotline
  • Phone Number: (800) 457-7362
  • Business Hours: 24 hours, 7 days a week

Only NYPD, FDNY, or other emergency personnel can request that the Department of Sanitation (DSNY) place sand on an oil or gas spill on public property.

Contact information is required.

Call 311 or 212-NEW-YORK (212-639-9675) for help.

  Was this information helpful?   Yes    No