You can report overgrown grass or weeds:

  • On a highway
  • In a park
  • On a sidewalk
  • Blocking a street sign
  • On a traffic island or median

You can report tall or unsightly grass or weeds on a highway shoulder or median to the Department of Transportation (DOT).

DOT does not accept reports of high grass or weeds on City streets. The following are considered streets, not highways:

  • Conduit (Queens)
  • Eastern Parkway (Brooklyn)
  • Fort Hamilton Parkway (Brooklyn)
  • Kings Highway (Brooklyn)
  • Mount Eden Parkway (Bronx)
  • Ocean Parkway (Brooklyn)
  • Pelham Parkway (Bronx)
  • West Side (Joe DiMaggio) Highway (Manhattan)

You can report City park areas with overgrown grass or weeds, including:

  • Bike paths and greenways
  • Lawns
  • Playing fields or courts
  • Playgrounds

You can report overgrown grass or weeds that are overflowing onto the sidewalk from the property next to it. The grass or weeds must be blocking the path of pedestrians and making the sidewalk very difficult to use.

You can report grass or weeds blocking the view of a street sign, including parking, traffic, bus stop, and construction signs.

Traffic island and median complaints are routed differently depending on whether there is landscaping on the site. Landscaped traffic islands or medians have benches or planted trees, shrubs, or flowers.

Without Landscaping:

You can report overgrown weeds or grass on an unlandscaped traffic island or median to the Department of Sanitation (DSNY).

With Landscaping:

The Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) accepts reports of overgrown weeds or grass on landscaped traffic islands or medians.

 Was this information helpful?   Yes    No