Need something else?

You can make a complaint about a pet store for not following City and State rules.

You can report any pet store for:

  • Unsanitary conditions
  • Operating without a permit
  • Selling, giving away, trading, displaying, transferring, or delivering rabbits or guinea pigs
  • Failing to provide appropriate care to animals
  • Selling animals that are illegal in New York City, including turtles with shells less than 4 inches long
  • Operating without an Animal Handling Certificate

In addition, you can report a pet store that sells dogs and cats for:

  • Getting dogs and cats from a breeder without a US Department of Agriculture "Class A" license or a good inspection history
  • Not spaying or neutering a dog or cat that weighs more than 2 pounds at least 8 weeks before it is sold
  • Selling dogs or cats from a source prohibited by law
  • Selling a dog without a City dog license unless the buyer provides a written statement that the dog will live outside of New York City
  • Selling a dog or cat without a microchip and failing to register the microchip with the owner's contact information
  • Not providing a dog’s or a cat’s complete health and medical history, including source and the breeder's inspection history
  • Not posting signs about the availability of animal records

Learn about rules for pet stores.

Pet dealers in New York State are required by law to guarantee the good health of the pets they sell. 

You can report any type of business selling animals that are unfit for purchase because they are ill, have hereditary deformities, or have diseases.


Report a business selling sick or deformed animals.

By Phone

  • Agency: New York State Attorney General
  • Division: New York State Attorney General Local Office
  • Phone Number: (212) 416-8000
  • Business Hours: Monday - Friday: 9 AM - 5 PM

You can make a complaint about a pet store for consumer protection violations, including:

  • False or misleading advertising
  • Cash payment refusal
  • Credit card limits not posted
  • Refund, return, or exchange refusal
  • Overcharge
  • Price not posted or inaccurate
  • No receipt or receipt that is inaccurate or incomplete

What Happens Next

If you don't include your address or email with your Service Request, you won't receive follow up. The Department of Consumer and Worker Protection (DCWP) will consider your complaint a tip.

If you include your address, DCWP will mail you a complaint form. You must complete and return it to DCWP. If you provide your email address, you'll get the form by email instead. Check your spam folder if you don't see it in your inbox.

 Was this information helpful?   Yes    No