Call 911
Call 911 to report an accident or immediate danger.

Need something else?

You can report a problem with a pipe scaffold, a sidewalk shed, or a suspended or hanging scaffold.

Pipe Scaffold

A pipe scaffold is a structure designed to support workers who are doing construction or alteration work. It is built with pipes and work platforms and built from the ground up next to the outside wall of a building. It does not move.

Sidewalk Shed

A sidewalk shed is a structure built over a sidewalk to protect pedestrians from objects falling from a building or construction site.

Suspended Scaffold

A suspended scaffold is a work platform supported by cables or rope from the roof or setback of a building. It is designed to support workers on the outside of a building. It moves horizontally and vertically.

You can report a pipe scaffold or sidewalk shed that is defective, unsafe, missing, or without a permit.

Include in your report:

  • If the building is new or occupied
  • The type of work being done
  • If it is a supported scaffold or a standalone sidewalk shed
  • If the supported scaffold or piping on top of the shed runs up the building
  • If the supported scaffold is straight and level
  • If the supported scaffold is in danger of falling
  • If the plywood protection (Parapet) above the shed is missing or loose
  • If debris is falling from the shed
  • If there are lights under the shed
  • If there is no permit/permit is expired

You can report a suspended or hanging scaffold that has no license or permit or is unsafe. Violations are issued when appropriate.

Include in your report:

  • The exact location of the suspended or hanging scaffold
  • How the suspended or hanging scaffold is unsafe
  • If the building is new or occupied
  • The type of work being done
  • If there are workers on the scaffold
  • If the workers are wearing harnesses

Call 311 or 212-NEW-YORK (212-639-9675) for help.

  Was this information helpful?   Yes    No