You can report a stray animal, including:

  • Dogs
  • Orphaned kittens
  • Stray animals in a park

Always use caution when near stray animals or wildlife.

Dogs and Injured Large Wildlife

During normal business hours, Animal Care Centers of NYC (ACC) accepts reports by phone of large injured wildlife (such as deer), stray or abandoned dogs, or wandering dogs that appear to be lost pets. 

You may also bring a lost dog to a Care Center drop-off location.

For injured wildlife, you may also find a NYS licensed wildlife rehabilitator on NYS Department of Environmental Conservation website.

Find an NYS licensed wildlife rehabilitator.


Healthy Adult Cat

ACC does not capture or trap healthy, stray, or roaming cats and they do not accept reports about healthy mother cats that are still taking care of their kittens. You should leave mother cats with kittens where they are. The kittens will leave their mothers when they are able to take care of themselves. If you are able to safely contain the animal and are unable to provide vet care please call (212) 788-4000 or email to arrange a time for you to bring the cat in and to allow ACC to prepare for the pet’s arrival.

Bringing in a stray cat may not be in his/her best interest if the cat appears healthy and thriving in the community. If the animal has identification, you can contact the owner directly. You can bring an animal to most veterinary hospitals to scan the animal for a microchip.

You can also register the cat in ACC's found pets database.

Register a found pet.

If an animal comes as a stray, ACC will hold the animal for 72 hours during which time we will search through various databases for any reports of lost pets that may fit the description of that animal. If no one claims it after the holding period, it will receive a Placement Evaluation to determine next steps.


ACC will accept a report by phone if you have found kittens that appear to be orphaned. You may also bring a lost kitten to a Care Center drop-off location. You can email  to make an appointment. If it is a medical emergency you may bring an orphaned kitten to a Care Center location, but you must call ahead before departing to alert staff you are on your way and to ensure the location is open.  

You should always use caution if you choose to help a kitten. Before you do anything, remember to never separate kittens from their mother cat. If you don’t see her, monitor the kittens from a distance for a few hours. You should try to bring in a mother with her kittens whenever possible.

Make a Report to ACC

Call 311 or 212-NEW-YORK (212-639-9675) for help.

If you have found a dog with a City license tag on its collar, you can report it online. You will need to enter the 7-digit license number found on the tag.

The dog's owner will get an email notifying them that you have found their dog. The Department of Health will also be notified so it can assist in reuniting the dog with its owner if necessary.

Report a lost dog with a license tag.

You may also drop the dog off at any Animal Care Centers of NYC (ACC) shelter or Care Center.

You can report wild, stray or injured animals in parks to the Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR). The City responds only to sick or injured wildlife or stray or injured animals in parks. 

DPR does not handle reports about healthy pigeons and squirrels.

There are Animal Care Center offices and drop-off locations across New York City.

Most require an appointment and are closed on the following holidays:

  • Independence Day
  • Labor Day
  • Thanksgiving Day
  • Christmas Day
  • New Year's Day

 Was this information helpful?   Yes    No