Need something else?

You can report the illegal use of housing for short-term rentals of less than 30 days. These rentals are often referred to as "illegal hotels" or "home-sharing".

Housing types include:

  • Apartments
  • Co-ops
  • Condos
  • 1-2 family homes
  • 3+ family homes

You can find them advertised on websites such as:

  • Airbnb
  • VRBO
  • FlipKey
  • And others

When reporting, be prepared to provide:

  • The address
  • Apartment or floor number of the unit
  • Any online rental listings
  • Advertisements
  • Specific web addresses

You also can report illegal short-term rentals of non-residential spaces.

This includes:

  • Commercial spaces
  • Industrial spaces
  • Storage spaces
  • Basements
  • Cellars
  • Attics
  • Garages

These reports are submitted to the Department of Buildings. They are handled by the Office of Special Enforcement (OSE).

Visit the OSE website.

  Was this information helpful?   Yes    No