You can make a complaint to the Department of Investigation if you suspect that a New York City employee, contractor, person doing business with the City, or a person receiving benefits from the City is guilty of criminal activity or corruption. Under the False Claims Act, you may be eligible for financial rewards for reports of fraud in City government.

This includes complaints of:

  • Fraud
  • Criminal Misconduct
  • Assault 
  • Attempts at bribery
  • Waste of agency funds
  • Illegal abuse of power
  • Theft
  • Conflict of interest
  • Illegal false reports

You can report City worker corruption, fraud, or misconduct:


Report City worker corruption, fraud, or misconduct.

By Phone

  • Agency: Department of Investigation
  • Division: City Inspectors General
  • Phone Number: (212) 825-5959
  • Business Hours: Monday - Friday: 9 AM - 5 PM
  • Call volume is often high. If you experience issues getting through, please try again later.

By Mail

You can mail a complaint to:

City of New York Department of Investigation
Complaint Bureau
180 Maiden Lane
New York, NY 10038

 Was this information helpful?   Yes    No