Need something else?

Department of Sanitation (DSNY) public recycling bins collect metal, glass, plastic, milk or juice cartons, and paper. They are made of metal and can be all one color or silver with a colored lid.

You can report a problem with a public recycling bin.

You can report a public recycling bin that’s completely full or overflowing.

What You Need

Please describe in your complaint if:

  • Trash is blowing into the street or onto the sidewalk
  • There is trash or trash bags on the ground around the bin

Public recycling bins are for pedestrians to throw away metal, glass, plastic, milk or juice cartons, and paper. The bins can’t be used to dispose of household or commercial waste.

Businesses are required by law to dispose of waste by contracting with a private carter or by hauling their own waste to an authorized disposal site.

You can report people or businesses who are misusing public recycling bins.

What You Need

Your report must include:

  • Address where the materials are coming from
  • Bin location
  • Name of the business if the bin is in front of a business
  • Type of materials being thrown out
  • Timeframe and days when the bin is misused

Call 311 or 212-NEW-YORK (212-639-9675) to report a broken or malfunctioning Bigbelly solar trash can.

  Was this information helpful?   Yes    No